BIBA Logo Portwood over 75 travel insurance logo Biba Logo

About Us

Contact Us


Medical Conditions

Single Trip Travel Insurance

Annual Travel Insurance

Insurance for cruises

Home > FAQs about over 75 travel insurance

Travel insurance for the over 75 - FAQs

Enjoying a holiday


Below are some FAQs about travel insurance in general and over 75 travel insurance in particular.

As brokers we will endeavour to answer to the best of our ability any specific questions you may have about the travel insurance policies offered on our website (or indeed any other insurance matter.) Please call us on 01207 509446 for further help.

What is Travel Insurance?

Travel Insurance provides financial cover for problems arising on holiday. Travel Insurance policies can include cover for medical expenses, cancellation, delays, lost or stolen baggage, cover of golf equipment and personal accidents.

Why buy Travel Insurance?

Lost baggage, delays, cancellations and trips to foreign hospitals are a regular occurrence on many holidays and these have significant cost implications. Without holiday insurance you are liable to foot the bills (which can be considerable). Note that the EHIC only provides limited protection and in certain EU countries you may be taken directly to a private hospital anyway.

What does Travel Insurance Cover?

The level of cover depends on which type of policy you select. We know that one policy doesn’t fit all, which is why our online quote system gives you a number of options to choose from. Key things to look for are the limits on medical expenses, cancellation and baggage, but every customer needs different things so think about what you may need.

How much does Travel Insurance Cost?

The cost of Holiday Insurance differs depending on your holiday, your personal circumstances / medical conditions and what you want your policy to include. Get a quote to check the price for your holiday.

Which contract should I buy?

The cheapest travel insurance option may not be the best. Cheap travel insurance policies offer relatively low levels of cover and often have a high excess. All our policies offer good cover for the price and include the option to delete the excess anyway. We recommend that you decide what your potential losses are and then pick the option that covers them - or call us for our free advice.

What’s the difference between single trip and annual travel Insurance?

Single trip travel insurance covers you for one holiday over a specified period. Annual holiday insurance, often known as multi-trip travel insurance, covers you for a full year for numerous holidays within that period. Make sure that you check the length of cover per trip as different policies offer different lengths. If you’re going away for an extended period you can choose a long stay policy. If you decide on an annual travel insurance policy, take out cover with immediate effect, not the date of your first trip, to ensure that cancellation cover is provided.

Do I need any Travel Insurance Extras?

This depends on your holiday plans, personal circumstances and the cover you want. Have a look through the optional extras and policy documentation to make sure that you get the level of cover to suit you.

What is Winter Sports Insurance?

Winter sports insurance is designed for insured parties who are going skiing or intending to enjoy other activities related to snow and ice. You can also get Snowboarding travel insurance. These include things like, Cover for Equipment, Piste Closure and Avalanche Closure, Cancellation and Medical Expenses.

I’m going to be doing some adventurous activities on holiday, do I need extra cover?

It depends on the activities you are going to be taking part in. Please check the list of hazardous activities to select the right level of cover. Remember that you can Contact Us by phone if you need any help.

Do you do Natural Disaster and ash cloud cover?

Yes, you can add this to your policy. Check the policy documentation to make sure that you have the level of cover you want.

How do I know which category my destination is in?

To make the quotation process as simple as possible we have organised all destinations into four categories (UK, Europe, Worldwide excl USA, Worldwide inc USA). To find out which category your destination falls into click on the information button next to the category. Don’t forget that if you need any help you can always Contact Us.

Why does my destination affect the price?

As with any Insurance product the price is calculated to reflect the level of risk. Some countries statistically carry more risk. In addition medical costs vary from country to country.

I have pre existing medical conditions, can I get Travel Insurance?

Our policy will cater for many pre existing medical conditions, providing they are declared when the policy is effected. If cover is not available under the schemes shown below you can try and find cover through one of our many additional travel insurance contracts (which may involve speaking to an underwriter) or by contacting us directly (the recommended option).

What is Medical Screening?

Medical screening is a series of easy to follow questions which ascertains the risk involved in travelling / going on holiday with pre existing medical problems.

I’m pregnant can I get Travel Insurance?

Yes, due to EU Gender Equalisation Legislation we do not base insurance premiums on your sex. Therefore you won’t need to declare that you are pregnant. However you will need to declare any conditions caused by the pregnancy. Please check with your doctor before you travel.

I struggle to find Travel Insurance because of my age. Will I get cover with you?

As brokers we have access to many travel insurance schemes. The options below provide cover for travellers up to the age of 99 (subject to length of journey), for single trip cover and up to the age of 85 for annual travel cover. We do have other options available if neither scheme  is suitable, or if you just want to take advantage of our many years of ecperience.

Can I compare Travel Insurance on your site?

We offer two online schemes - the first one has a range of travel insurance policies to ensure that most needs can be met. The second one is more targeted at annual travel insurance for the over 75. By contacting us directly we will take details and obtain quotes from a range of other travel insurance products we have available.

I’m going on holiday for a year, do you do Insurance for this?

The first scheme below will provide quotes for up to 365 days away for travellers aged up to 85. Again we have other options available that may be more suitable. Note that if you intend to come back to the UK during the year and then depart again, then the product may not be suitable e.g. Students going abroad to study in Semesters or Trimesters.

Do you do cruise travel insurance?

Both schemes will take into account whether travel insurance for a cruise is required. These are not, however, specialist cruise products. We can arrange cover for extremely high cancellation amounts and have access to other specialist cruise travel insurance schemes. Again - please contact us as these schemes are not available online.

I’m going away on Business do you cover this?

Yes, we have additional extras to include business cover. This includes business samples, computers and increased accident benefits.

I’m going to be playing Golf on my holiday, is this covered?

You can choose to add golf cover to your policy, which covers things like your clubs as well as giving you extra benefits such as hole in one Insurance.

How do I make a claim?

All travel insurance policies we offer include full details of how to make a claim. We recommend that you add the emergency claim contact number to your mobile phone whilst you are on holiday and ensure you have quick access to the policy number.

What does 'pre booked' mean?

Your policy wording may refer to pre booked accommodation. Pre booked doesn't just mean staying in a hotel you have booked prior to the start of your journey, it also refers to pre arranged accommodation. This can include staying with friends and family when you have pre arranged this. If you have a claim then you may be asked to prove that you had pre arranged this type of accommodation.

Immediate Online Quotes and Purchase Online

Quote for Travel Insurance For those requiring an immediate purchase of travel insurance. Includes a wide range of policies, can cover long stays and the elderly e.g. , over 75 or over 80. Most existing medical conditions can be covered.

Further information is available about travel insurance in general.

Please note that this website does not use cookies. No information is requested or retained from users.

B Portwood & Co Ltd are registered in England (785468) and are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the arrangement and administration of non-investment insurance products. This can be checked on the FCA website or by calling 0800 111 6768. B. Portwood & Co Ltd are also a licenced credit broker.

over 75 Insurance


Over 75 Travel Insurance

Over 80 Travel Insurance

Medical Conditions

Site Map