picture of homePortwood Logolandlords insurance
Home Page> Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord Building Insurance

Our cheap online landlord building insurance quotation service for insuring a house or home in the UK where the tenant is not the property owner. As well as the buildings insurance is available to cover other needs that the landlord may have. Instant quotes and option to purchase are provided. (No obligation)


Buildings Insurance is provided by SAGIC. The buildings can be covered for the normal insurance perils, fire, lightning, explosion, riot, storm, tempest etc. The insurance cover can also be extended in many cases to include accidental damage. We will look sympathetically at property of non-standard construction as well as located in an area with an increased flooding risk or previous subsidence, but cannot guarantee cover for those specific perils.

Tenant Types for landlords buildings insurance

Premiums, rented property insurance conditions etc including terms of the buildings insurance policy depends on the type of tenant that lives in the landlords house or home.

  • Buildings insurance for Professional Let - the occupier pays the rent on the home direct to the landlord. This is the cheapest insurance policy
  • Subsidised Let - the rental agreement is with the occupier, but part of the rent is paid by another person such as the DSS. This is not the same as
  • Buildings Insurance for DSS Lets is more expensive as the rental agreement is between yourself as landlord and the DSS - who have the right to change the actual tenant as and when they please.
  • Student Let: The buildings are rented to several students. Insurance is higher as the tenants are young, know they will only live in the house  very few years and probably don't have the same respect for the buildings as the landlord.
  • Buildings Insurance for Bed Sits let on short-term contracts - frequently to multiple tenants and maybe including cooking in rooms rather than shared facilities. The insurance premium quoted is higher to reflect the increased risk.
  • Buildings Insurance occupied with asylum seekers is amongst the most expensive insurance policies as this is a variation of a DSS let as the agreement to let the property cannot be between the landlord and the asylum seeker. NB the agreement must be between the landlord and an approved organisation.
  • Insurance is available for holiday homes in the UK and overseas. We differentiate whether the holidayhome is for just your own (and friends/ family) or is let out on a commercial basis. We can offer quotations for holiday houses both in the UK and abroad (France, Spain, Eire, Cyprus and Portugal)

To obtain your insurance quote

Click for your quote for landlord insurance Maximum buildings sum insured 1,000,000
Maximum contents sum insured 150,000
Higher sums on request

Multi Property Landlord Insurance

For landlords owning five or mor eproperties we offer our Multi Property landlord insurance contract with reduced rates, fees and easy administration.

Unoccupied Property Insurance

We can also quote for unoccupied property insurance as well as residential let insurance. Immediate cover is available online for unoccupied property insurance.

Insurance for multiple properties

Landlords needing buildings insurance for five or more properties can take advantage of our multiple property insurance option. Underwriting allows us the ability to offer even cheaper rates, lower policy fees and great flexibility.

About Us

B. Portwood & Co Ltd are landlords insurance brokers based in North-East England UK. We have two offices: 145 Newgate Street, Bishop Auckland DL14 7EN, 44 Medomsley Road, Conset DH8 5HA. We are authorised regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the arrangement / administration of non-investment insurance contracts.

If you need any further information or help or advice on landlord buildings insurance terms please contact us on 01388 607140 We can discuss your needs.

end of page bar