Portwood Logo

FAQ | Property Policy (1st Jan 2021) | IPID1st Jan 2021)About us

Landlords Insurance - SAGIC scheme

This landlords insurance is suitable for all types of buy to let homes in the UK. This includes:

  • Standard lets : Tenancy agreement between landlord and tenant - the rent may be paid by a third party

  • DSS Lets : Tenancy agreement between Landlords and a Third Party - who has control of the occupants

  • Students : Homes let out to one or more students

  • Asylum Seekers : As DSS lets but extends to allow Asylum Seekers to occupy premises

  • Holiday Homes : Whether let on a business basis or for your (and your friends) enjoyment

  • Bedsits (Cooking in own rooms) including DSS

  • HMOs (Shared facilities) - reduced rates if tenancy agreements between landlord and all tenants.

  • Quotes for your own home insurance or for unoccupied property insurance are available

Because our rates are so competitive, we suggest some (small) risk management from the landlord.  A smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector should be installed. The landlord must comply with legal requirements - in particular annual checks on gas and regular checks on electrical fittings and obeying fire prevention guidelines. If the property is let furnished, an inventory signed by the tenant should be obtained.

Unacceptable Risks

Refer Risks - cover not available online

We are unable to quote on this scheme for the following:

If your occupation is one of the following:

  1. Amusement arcade owners / workers
  2. Bookmakers and turf accountants
  3. Casino and gaming establishments staff
  4. Circus and fairground owners / workers
  5. Debt collectors
  6. Fashion and photographic models
  7. Foreign forces personnel
  8. Itinerant traders and travellers
  9. Money lenders and pawnbrokers
  10. Professional sports persons
  11. Proprietors / employees of bars and night-clubs
  12. Scrap / general dealers and merchants
  13. Show business personnel

If the property

  1. Is situated outside Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
  2. Is not in a good state of repair
  3. Is showing signs of damage
  4. Is let for a period of less than six months (agreement with tenant or organisation in control of tenants)
  5. If occupied by asylum seekers - is not let to Mears Group / Serco / Action Foundation / Clear Springs or Local/ National Government
  6. Is a home converted into 5 or more flats or a flat therein (unless contents only cover is required). Purpose-built flats canbe covered for buildings and/ or contents, whether a single flat in a block or the whole block of flats needs covering.
If buildings cover is not required - unless the property is a single flat or maisonette in a block that has cover arranged independently.
We may be able to quote on this scheme - please complete the form. In many cases you will be able to 'plead your case' if there are mitigating circumstances or substantial changes have been made to improve the risk.
  1. You have had previous insurance declined, cancelled or had special terms imposed by an insurer.
  2. You (or any member of your family residing with you) has
    1. been convicted or charged with or received a caution for any criminal offence other than motoring offences
    2. any unsatisfied County Court Judgement
    3. been made bankrupt
  3. You have suffered (whether covered by insurance or not) on the property to be insured
    1. Any losses in respect of subsidence, landslip or heave
    2. Any loss in respect of flood
    3. Any loss over 5,000 in the last three years
    4. Two or more losses in the last twelve months
    5. Three or more losses in the last three years
    6. Any liability claim
  4. Where you have held previous insurance that has expired more than 30 days prior to commencement of cover
  5. The building is
    1. not built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slates or tiles (flat roofs of bitumen/ felt/ Concrete/ EPDM are acceptable)
    2. built before 1700 and/ or is a listed building
    3. used for business purposes - see here for a quick quote for commercial property owners insurance
    4. communicating with or forms part of a business premises
    5. in an area specially exposed to storm
    6. in an area specially exposed to flood
    7. in an area specially exposed to subsidence or landslip
    8. a mobile or leisure home where it is not your main residence