Main Insurance Header

Unoccupied House Insurance

Free advice on unoccupied House Insurance

As insurance brokers we have several schemes available (but not online) for unoccupied house insurance. Please use our call-back facility to request our advice and recommendation: just select the option from the 'House' menu above.

Our unoccupied house insurance is suitable for all types of residential property - no matter how the house became unoccupied or the future intentions of the owner. 

For example: our unoccupied house insurance is available whether the property is unoccupied pending sale, renovations, to be let out our lived in. The policy is suitable for executors of an estate awaiting probate as well as putative landlords 'doing up' the property in preparation of letting out as well as 'investment properties'.

Quotes for unoccupied house insurance are available for properties anywhere in the UK - other than Northern Ireland. This includes houses in major cities like London, Birmingham, Glasgow or Newcastle and known problem areas like Bradford, Oldham. There is great flexibility, cheap insurance premiums and very wide cover.

Examples of the need for unoccupied house insurance

Obtain a quick quote for cheap unoccupied house insurance.

Certain underwriting criteria apply to unoccupied property insurance and in some (not many) cases the risk may have to be referred to underwriters for consideration. Houses that have had subsidence or in a flood area will be considered - although no guarantee can be made that cover will be available. 

Unoccupied Property Insurance Quotes


Policy Wording


Sum Insured - Buildings Help
Sum Insured - Contents Help
Accidental Damage Cover

Status and cover required.
Construction of Buildings
No claims Bonus
Excess required
Social Media Discount? Help
Legal Expenses/ Rent Guarantee
Insurance Premium

Obtain insurance quote

Buy your Unoccupied house Insurance online

Cover Options

Unoccupied house insurance comes with TWO levels of cover - 'Limited' and 'Full'. 'Full' cover is not available, without referral, for properties undergoing structural renovation. Even the 'Limited' level of cover far exceeds that given by most unoccupied home insurance policies.

'Full' insurance cover provides all the policy benefits of a home insurance policy, with the exception that cover for contents in the garden are (naturally) excluded. This may be available for property being structurally modified on referral. However there are some requirements.

Policy excess

Unoccupied house insurance includes the following:-

Insurance for when the house is no longer unoccupied

The unoccupied home insurance is fully compatible with either a landlord insurance or a home insurance policy.

With the former the insurance premium depends on the tenant residing in the property (standard, DSS, Students, Asylum seekers, holiday home - all can be covered), cover automatically reverts to 'FULL' once we are advised of the change, the escape of water excess reduces to 150.00 (unless the 250.00 option was taken) and accidental damage cover is available.

With the latter (as well as the change in excess), premium rates for both buildings and contents are substantially reduced (see here for a further unoccupied property insurance quotation with quotes for home insurance. Furthermore all risks cover may be added to protect valuables e.g. jewellery or electrical equipment (IPads, IPhones etc), pedal cycles, frozen food, sports equipment, money and credit cards. An enhanced no claims bonus of up to 25% and discounts for the over 50 result in very cheap home insurance.

There is therefore no need to cancel the policy mid-term due to a change of use. Call us and we'll sort it out.

The insurance may be cancelled at any time if, for example, the property has been sold. The return premium will be based on 30 days more cover, loss of commission on the resulting amount and a 20.00 fee (much lower than most insurers charge).

Difficulties obtaining unoccupied property insurance

Risk Management - reduce the risk of making a claim on your unoccupied house insurance policy

Companies providing cover will normally only do so if the insured is willing to help reduce the chance of a loss - this is known as risk-management. This is not, per se, a requirement for this insurance policy but well recommended.

If you own (or intend to own) multiple properties

We can arrange insurance to cover houses already let. Once the total reaches five we can change over to a different rating structure that offers even cheaper premiums and lower administration fees. Vacant houses can be included under the scheme. Quotes are available for multi property online - or you may wish to contact us to confirm terms.

Home Page | unoccupied property insurance | holiday home insurance | rented property asylum seekers | rented to DSS referrals | subsidised rental agreements | rented property insurance for students | overview of rented property insurance

B. Portwood & Co also offer cover on other types of property, professional let, DSS let, student lets, asylum seekers as well as unoccupied property insurance.

 B Portwood & Co are registered at 145 Newgate Street, Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. DL14 7EN. Unoccupied property insurance is administered at 145 Newgate Street, Bishop Auckland. DL14 7EN
 Tel 01388607105 for any queries, advice, help or assistance.